Colder days call for warmer foods. This soup can be as spicy or as mild as you like but flavorful and satisfying no matter what.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can black beans (low sodium=bueno)
- 1 15-oz can canned pumpkin
- 1 15-oz can diced or stewed tomatoes
- 2 c water
- chili powder
- red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, sautÃ© garlic in olive oil on medium heat.
- Add beans, pumpkin, and tomato, then spices.
- Add water and stir well.
- Simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Youâ€™re welcome to use an immersion blender to puree the soup, but why make it more complicated?
Serve with a side of cornbread.
What to pour:
If the cold weather has you leaning toward red, you want something fruity and a little bit bold. A Syrah or Merlot would work nicely. You could also try this dish with a rosÃ©.